Friday, September 24, 2010

Gail Tsukiyama

I would like to thank my dear friend Helena for introducing this author to me.
I am currently enjoying her debut novel : Women of the Silk

"In Women of the Silk Gail Tsukiyama takes her readers back to rural China in 1926, where a group of women forge a sisterhood amidst the reeling machines that reverberate and clamor in a vast silk factory from dawn to dusk. Leading the first strike the village has ever seen, the young women use the strength of their ambition, dreams, and friendship to achieve the freedom they could never have hoped for on their own. Tsukiyama's graceful prose weaves the details of "the silk work" and Chinese village life into a story of courage and strength".


I have always been curious and amazed with the Chinese culture. My grandma ran away from China and came to Singapore when she was just 14 years old. Maybe that i why i love to read this book [ and Amy Tan's]


The difference with Ms Tsukiyama's novel is that, it is simpler to read. It would be great for a non avid reader.



I bought my copy from Bookxcess for just rm17.90
the RRP is Rm56.

www.Bookxcess.com



Click to look inside

http://literati.net/Tsukiyama/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gail_Tsukiyama

loveNmarriage

World Wide Web